Jux Version 2.701: Freezing of Application
Unfortunately, the new version comes back to the phenomenon of freezing:
For example, if I have activated Lightning and want to change the orbit trap, the display just hangs and I have no choice but to close Jux with the Task Manager.
The same thing happens when I use gradients e.g. wants to change orbit traps using the randomize button: display remains the same, program freezes.
Enclosed a parameter files with which these problems occur.
Regards,
Krisi

Attached Files
.jup   200204h15.jup (Size: 4.55 KB / Downloads: 2)
.jup   200204h.jup (Size: 1.7 KB / Downloads: 2)
It has so far proved impossible to freeze Jux on my computers with these or any other parameters, which makes it very hard to find why it freezes on some other computers. Previous tests have indicated that the slowest operation in the main thread is repainting the preview pane (don't ask me why), so I have limited this to 5x per second, but had not done so for the color/lighting updates that didn't restart the preview before v2.7.

Did you have the same problems in 2.6?
Can you clarify: is it freezing if you just click the button once, or only while you are clicking it multiple times?
Also, when you switch between the lighting and color tabs, are the tabs updating fast or is there noticeable flickering or time to redraw the controls?
(02-05-2020, 01:39 PM)Garth Thornton Wrote: It has so far proved impossible to freeze Jux on my computers with these or any other parameters, which makes it very hard to find why it freezes on some other computers. Previous tests have indicated that the slowest operation in the main thread is repainting the preview pane (don't ask me why), so I have limited this to 5x per second, but had not done so for the color/lighting updates that didn't restart the preview before v2.7.

Did you have the same problems in 2.6?
Can you clarify: is it freezing if you just click the button once, or only while you are clicking it multiple times?
Also, when you switch between the lighting and color tabs, are the tabs updating fast or is there noticeable flickering or time to redraw the controls?

I had no problems in version 2.6 but in the two versions before that, freezing also occurred occasionally, mostly when I switched from coloring to the Lightning tab (in reverse order, if I remember correctly, I didn't notice any freezing effect).
Switching between the tabs actually works fairly quickly without any delays or flickering of the display.
In my impatience, I probably clicked the randomize button several times until I noticed that the application stopped responding.
Further observations:
It seems that the problem only occurs with the new formulas (observed at Expozer and Gumovski-Mira).
I've made some changes that have so far stopped freezes on one computer that previously had them quite often with lighting.

You can download it here: http://xenodream.com/downloads/Jux2704setup.exe
It will install over v2.701 without uninstalling.
If all goes well it should be safe to do things quickly without worrying about freezes.

Anyone else having freezes is welcome to try it. I hope to add something new before making a full public update.
(02-17-2020, 10:51 AM)Garth Thornton Wrote: I've made some changes that have so far stopped freezes on one computer that previously had them quite often with lighting.

You can download it here: http://xenodream.com/downloads/Jux2704setup.exe
It will install over v2.701 without uninstalling.
If all goes well it should be safe to do things quickly without worrying about freezes.

Anyone else having freezes is welcome to try it. I hope to add something new before making a full public update.

Thanks for the trial version. I have now tried the two parameters with it and actually did not get any freezing symptoms. I will also be testing a few older parameters in the next few days, where this happened in earlier versions of Jux.